18 January 2009

Sunday Pulp

About a month ago, I was seriously ready for this semester to start. Now, it's way too soon. I don't start teaching until Wednesday. The last time I checked only 7 students registered for my class.

A friend almost lost his class and I kind of wish they would just take mine. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready to teach. It's makes me a little nervous right now. When my friend almost lost his class they were going to make him work the time equivalent in the WC. I volunteered to switch places. (He really needs to teach this semester for research.) Now, I think it would have been a nice way to ease back into things if I only worked in the WC this semester. It would fit because I am an intern in the WC training class. Instead, I get to teach my own class, intern, and maybe work in the WC. We're going to talk about it next week.
It's certainly not that WC work is easier. I think it is harder than teaching and I don't feel like I've ever been stellar at it. One to one communication is just easier for me. I wish we would have thought of a WC position earlier.

On a completely different note...as you may have noticed I've had a lot of time for TV these days. Because the 5pm-8pm time slot is so abysmal, I started watching NCIS. It's actually not a bad show, in spite of the fact that all the characters are a specific type. Ted Bundy...I mean Mark Harmon is the surly father figure who always goes with his gut. Abby (Pauley Perette) is the crazy goth-on-the-outside, but incredibly perky brilliant scientist. McGee is the newbie...sorry, proby (probationary). He's math whiz, geek kind of doughy faced, but thoughtful and tries to be manly. DiNozzo is the young-male lead, he's a womanizer with the heart of gold complete with the Italian name. He's always impugning McGee's masculinity. David McCallum returns to television as the eccentric, loquacious, m.e. who likes to talk to the bodies. You see this show is great, not because of the writing or acting, but because there is nothing to challenge the viewer.

All of that would be fine. It helps to keep your mind on plot, which is usually topical and often takes a different approach to topics than you might think. Here it comes...wait for it, wait for it...HOWEVER, this show although it does have some strong women characters, completely reinforces some pretty typcial gender roles - particularly when it DiNozzo tries to woo a character. In short the character is the guy at the bar that you would end up throwing a drink on, but on the show it's supposed to be charming and endearing. I started paying attention and really thinking about this when I saw an episode set in a state park. I know therre are many, but this one is where they initially think the guy was mauled by a bear. One of the park rangers is really pretty, passionately anti-hunting, and loves her job. Of course, DiNozzo immediately tries to hit on her. She holds out for a while, but can't resist the charm. It's all going swimmingly. They're supposed to have a date, but then disaster strikes. As she sits on his dek, the ranger starts to rearrange her long hair. She lifts up her arms and..."Oh Noes!!!" She doesn't shave. DiNozzo actually gags, but hangs in there until she puts her leg up on a file cabinet and he can see her legs are nice and hairy too. He makes up some lame excuse to get out of the date and the park ranger looks confused.

Seriously. Do I need to even spell out the problem with the "Ewww...she's hairy" moment?
Don't worry, I know you can do that one on your own. I've got different fish to fry.

Let's talk about Ziva David, she is the third member of Gibbs' team. She's supposed to be a former Moussad agent, who now works for us. She's secretly in love with DiNozzo and she shaves. A position she earned by killing her half-brother. Eh. I warned you all about the writing. Cote de Pablo does a fine job. It's the character I have issues with. From what I've noticed there are not any amazingly anti-arab episodes, but the mere presence of her character is a comment on US/Israeli/Palesitinian relations. When she tosses off lines like, "I've seen a 12 yr. old suicide bomber." There's no doubt of whom she is referring. The show is so contemporary and topical, but because they have this character they avoid dealing with the US/Israeli relationship, while tacitly being pro-Israeli. It's a little weird.

That's probably enough analysis of a show that doesn't warrant it.
blog comments powered by Disqus