16 January 2009

Neurology 101

Here's what I learned today.

If you cross section a vein/blood vessel there are three layers the tougher outer layer, the muscular layer, and then a thin layer between the muscle and the area where the blood actually flows.

Apparently what happened to me is that the thin layer tore/ruptured somehow and the blood then made a path through my muscle layer. That path can cause a blockage in the flow of blood through the regular area. Sometimes it can create clots that are then pushed through and end up in the brain causing a stroke. There is a big fibro-muscular something or other name for all of this.
Once the stroke is relieved the vein can either repair it self - start flowing normally, or the brain will develop other routes and sources for blood. Or the area will continue to be blocked requiring a shunt.

In order find out if I require a shunt I'll have to have an MRI. If the MRI shows a normal blood flow, then everything is good and that is that. If the MRI is inconclusive, I'll have an angiogram to test the area. The angiogram will show whether or not a shunt is necessary; and, if it is necessary they can put it in right then.

But, the MRI is first. Yeah, noisy small tubes in my future. I know I had an MRI when I was first in the hospital. I don't really remember what it was like, but I do remember it because it was so noisy. Maybe I'll actually get to use the earplugs I received in a care package during comps.
blog comments powered by Disqus