21 January 2009

First Day.....

As a rule, if it is past 5:00pm, I do not nap. Really. I try to be a "good" sleeper - keep my naps to 15 -30 minutes, don't nap too late, only use the bed to sleep and you know. Do not sleep on the couch or anywhere else. I don't have non-stroke related sleeping problems, but I think it a good idea not to tempt fate. Mostly, I think I try to be good because the DH's sleep habits are soooo messed up it's ridiculous.

However, tonight after dinner, I laid on the couch and fell asleep for about an hour. This day just wore me out. Initially, I thought I'd have to go to school way early...so, I was up and ready before we negotiated a later start time to my day. Let me tell you, I hated teaching at 1:00pm even before it started.

I like to teach in the morning because, like most other things, I like to get it done. Can I do that at 1:00. No. I sat around the house, trying not to be nervous. When I did manage to get out of the car without the DH pinning a note to my jacket...just mittens, I went to the bookstore and the coffee-shop. (They are both in the student union and connected.) It all took about 20 minutes, but I kept feeling like I was late for class. Grr. Arrgh.

The first day of teaching went fine. There are a couple of things I'll need to mention on Friday, but no major disasters. As the DH has noticed, I'm a little snarkier than I used to be. I think the one thing I lost in the stroke was a filter or two. Since I don't plan to tell this class about the stroke, I had to think of another way to explain all of that. I told them there is a teaching rule about not using sarcasm in the classroom, but that I am not very good at following it. I told them that mostly I'm kidding. That if I unintentionally offend someone they need to talk to me about it. I kind of stress the point. They probably thought I was nuts, but...oh, well.

Like with most things about my life, I'm not actively trying to keep the stroke from them. I just didn't want to open with it. To me, that would seem like a gratuitous plea for sympathy, which is not what I want. I'm sure it will come up sooner or later. I'm not very good at self-censorship. Since, I bought the most OBVIOUS medic-alert bracelet you've ever seen someone will ask sooner or later. It didn't look that bad when I ordered it. I swear.
blog comments powered by Disqus