24 December 2008

Inside Higher Ed...

I was going to say a lot of snarky things about this IHE.com article, but I realized everything I wanted to say was in the comments already. I also don't have the energy for invective right now. There is one thing I would like to bring up. Although, I was edumacated to teach rhetoric in the writing class and I think it works well, I think the impetus to critique the idea is a good one. Change is only possible when we critique what is happening. To me, it's just that the answer is NOT to go back to teaching only Literature. I don't have an alternate right now. Maybe so much time shouldn't be spent pointing out what Joseph Kugelmass got wrong (and there was much of it that was wrong) and, instead, spend that energy on questioning our own practices.

Also, I just want to point out that I have only spent two weeks reading IHE and I don't know how much longer I can stand it.
blog comments powered by Disqus