23 December 2008


Excuse me for the messed up formatting. I'm sick and I don't want to do this again. Also, there what ended up being a pretty big, cut and paste seciton. This is all from an article titled "The Adjunctification of English" at insidehighered.com. I saw this last week when Dr. Heidi posted it; however, I didn't read it until today. Dr. Heidi's take on this was more about the poor economy and the lack to tenure-track jobs. My take is a little different. Let's begin with the opening line....


Without anyone paying much attention, professors have substantially been replaced by part timers and those off the tenure track when it comes to teaching English and writing to undergraduates.


WTF? Are you serious? Whether or not the MLA has put out a press briefing, this is not a current issue. Anyone involved in teaching composition can tell you that. However, this is continually treated as a "new" development until well down into the article there is this quotation from Cheryl Glenn.


Cheryl Glenn, the chair and a professor of English and women’s studies at Pennsylvania State University, noted that there were many similarities between the MLA’s report and a statement adopted by the writing instructors in 1989, which lamented the “enormous academic underclass” created by the use of adjuncts to teach writing, and called for programs to rely on tenured and tenure-track professors. She said it saddened her that so little progress had been made since 1989, but that the MLA had framed the issues well.


Yes, people in composition and rhetoric have been writing about this "new" problem for years. In fact one of the reasons I continued on to my PhD program was to study this problem. Over the years, my ideas shifted, but that doesn't mean this problem was solved. Go back and read some Bill Readings and Eileen Schell.

Although I am not technically an adjunct, my "Teaching Assistantship" means I occupy a very similar place in the University. In fact, for the University, it is a better place. I do the work of an adjunct, for less, pay for credits while I do it, and they get to say they provide 'experience.' One of the reasons I do not, like many of my colleagues, seek other teaching employment is because it would mean being an "adjunct" somewhere else. Not everyone has the opportunity to eschew that position, but it is important to me to stay out of that system. Until there are jobs, there will always be a cheap labor pool. While there is a cheap labor pool, Universities will use it. Who knows, when I am done here I may have to adjunct somewhere, but there is always the option to be Dr. Barista somewhere.

I want to be clear about one thing. These are my views and only that. I am not saying no one else should ever adjunct; however, if I can avoid it, I will.

Just don't get me started on the other issue here, which is why this is all a problem now that MLA noticed it, but didn't seem to be a real issue before. That is an entirely different rant. Since, I've been told I am a closet Victorianist, I should probably keep my mouth shut about that.


blog comments powered by Disqus