11 February 2009

Healing...

Moshe's cast came off yesterday. We had to take him back to the vet today for some xrays. They were also concerned that he was not using his leg properly because of nerve damage.

He seems to be using his leg fine now, so I think it was just a matter of not knowing what to do with it. For most the last three weeks of his 12 week existence he's had a cast that was longer than the rest of his legs and weighed as much as he did. It makes sense that it might take a while to get used to not having it.

He's pretty funny limping around, and pretty quick. Watching him randomly stretch his leg straight back or tentatively put it on the ground, makes me think back to my first days learning how to walk again and my first days at home. When I go up and down the stairs now, I forget how hard it was for me at the beginning. All my movements seem normal again, but I remember that first day home and how hard it was to slide across the bed or get up from the couch. Because I didn't need it for that long, sometimes I forget how much I really did need the cane.

I didn't really expect it to happen, but in many ways I've already begun to take my recovery for granted. Even the shower chair in the bathroom just looks like another spot to hang towels or store reading materials.
blog comments powered by Disqus