10 February 2009

Grindstone...

I've been blogging everyday, well, I took a couple of days off here and there since November. It's been really good for me...maybe, a little too self indulgent for all of you. However, I've noticed a marked difference in my writing both here and when I try to work on the diss.

Generally, I tend not to think of this space as really writing. Since I know most of you who read, I'm comfortable publishing stuff that would normally get a second or third look before everyone saw them. More and more often, the quality of the first draft is changing. It's still not great, just different.

Wait, writing everyday is good for you?! This should not be news to a Compositionist, but, frankly, I've always been a little bit more do as I say, not as I do. It's about time I did as I say. Transfering this writing space, where even when I've nothing to write about I can write, to my diss is still something to work out.

Since we tend to, or need to, think of writing as a romantic act and MUST protect our genius I cannot bring myself to share my diss here. But, maybe I can still use your help. I'm struggling with the "so what" factor. It's pretty typical of my ideas and writing. I'm great at pointing out ideas, no so great with the "What makes them important" element.

So, here's the broad, weird question. Why do we need to understand more fully the relationships between individuals and institutions? What can currently help us to do that?
blog comments powered by Disqus