13 April 2009

My Time...

Although I've resisted the impluse to "live like I am dying" and take of on some bungee jumping, sky diving spree, I am pretty aware of the value of my time.

It's not that I always spend it wisely. If I did, I'd have that stupid prospectus done along with a few chapters. Oh well. The fact is that I am aware of how I need to budget my time and, aside from In-law visits and work men crawling all over my house, I've been pretty good about keeping my teaching time. Right now I'm on a MWF schedule. I've managed to keep almost all my grading and course prep to those times. On the latest schedule this week is set aside for individual conferences. On Friday I put out a sign-up sheet for those conferences. Since it is the end of the semester and I have such a small class, I've been able to alot 1hr for each conference. I asked the students to bring a draft of a part of their project and an ouline for the presentation due next week. I intended to run these sessions like Writing Center appointments - we could really work with anything.

When I got here at 9:30am I checked my email. The student who has today's 11 appointment wants to reschedule because she just found out she doesn't have class until 7:30 tonight so doesn't want to come from Raleigh until then. It's now 10:33 and my first ten am appointment is a now show. Now I don't have anything until 1:00pm. If I had know that I could have taken my time getting ready this morning or taken the dog for a walk or, even, just picked my nose.

Seriously. I am pissed. I have other things I could be doing.
blog comments powered by Disqus