13 February 2007

In service to what...

This is the upcoming post…sort of.

The Cajun Princess alerted me to this over at rateyourstudents last week. My response to her email was, “Man, and I thought we were cynical.” It made me want to post something long and optimistic about publishing, research, and teaching here, but, alas, I’ve run out of time and optimism. All I will say is that it is pretty unnerving to hear the same cynicism from individuals who seem to have been in the profession for a while.

Instead today I’d like to explore a different aspect of my experience, departmental service. As I think I’ve mentioned before Middletown University (hereafter MU) is in the middle of a hiring spree. A couple of weeks ago at lunch with a candidate I commented on the opportunities our department provides graduate students to serve on committees and hold administrative positions (particularly in my field). I presented the comment as a good thing about our department. In some ways I think it is, but I’m having some doubts.

Here are the current opportunities for graduate students within our department:
v Student representation on a graduate studies committee (2 positions)
v Student representation at portions of faculty meetings dealing with graduate student issues (2 positions ***it should be noted we only gained these positions after much lobbying this year.)
v Assistant Director of Composition (1 year long position that includes a course release and a slight stipend)
v Graduate Assistant Director of the Writing Center (1 position – changes each semester and includes course release)
v Editors of the First Year Student handbook (3 positions)
v Contributors to the FYS Handbook (varies each year)

These are all positions that provide excellent experience and will look great on a cv, and they are only the structured positions. There are tons of other opportunities for us to volunteer in some capacity. No one should leave here without some service on their cv. So, why do I doubt their benefit?

Currently I’m debating whether or not to apply to be next year’s AD of Comp. It is within my field and is sort of the goal I’ve been working towards. However, I plan to take my comprehensive exams next spring. Even with the course release, I worry that the obligations of the AD position will be too much to carry and continue to study and take my exams at the same time. “No problem,” you might say, “just wait and apply after you’ve taken your exams.” You would be right if it weren’t for two things – first, there’s no guarantee that I would get it that following year; and, second, that is the final year of my funding.

My doubts about the amount of service graduate students provide to our department stems from the fact that we are limited to four years of funding. Fifth year students may apply for assistantships, but within the past year those assistantships have become competitive and the funding attached to them has decreased. Our funding is abysmally low to begin with yet, if we must stay for a fifth year (which is very common) we loose any tuition waivers we may have had, and about two thousand dollars for the year.

Our department advertises itself as a four-year PhD program. Technically, it is possible to do it; however, it is usually the exception. Most people I know have taken five years to get through the program, especially if they’ve been involved in the department. Although the positions that truly require our time offer course releases, they still also take time from our research, class prep, etc. Yes, these positions offer us an opportunity to experience the teaching, research, and service demands that are inherent in the profession; however, I’m beginning to think it is at a cost to our ability to focus either more completely on our teaching or our research, and, to some extend, our ability to complete the program in the time allotted.

As MU moves up in the research tiers, it desperately needs to address the low stipends for its graduate students. At the same time, our department needs to address the timing of the program. Currently, it is not really truthful to advertise as a four year program.
blog comments powered by Disqus