25 January 2007

Where the day goes...

It amazes me how quickly a day can fill up with "stuff." Currently my schedule should be a dream. I'm not teaching, and I should have Fridays off. Since I'm not so great at making myself work on Fridays I started to organize a study group. We were supposed to start tomorrow at 1:00pm. Then I remembered that I agreed to take job candidates out to lunch, which also meant that I should attend at least one of the two job talks scheduled for the afternoon. Since all of that meant getting to campus at 11:00am, I figured why not go early and get some publicity for the Writing Center done. (Walk all over campus putting up posters.) So, before I had the day off. Now I'll be on campus from about 8:30 - 3:00, which pretty much guarantees I won't be in the mood to study when I get home.

I have the sneaking suspicion that when I get into "the real world" service and administrative duties will operate in this way as well.

Normally I enjoy volunteering to take candidates out to lunch. I like to meet new people and hear their stories. However, this year my department is doing an amazing amount of hiring. There are three positions open right now and I believe there will be something like three more in the fall. Everyone is nuts. I'm not sure how many more job talks any of us can sit through. The good side of it all is that the department dynamic will change with the addition of so many new people. It won't have too much of an effect on my studies, but it will be good for the newer graduate students.
blog comments powered by Disqus